Published: 02/11/2010 - Updated: 09/12/2018
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder in which the pancreas makes little or no insulin (Type I diabetes), or the body's cells do not respond to insulin that is produced (Type II diabetes). The diet of a diabetic should be well guarded, overeating is not recommended, it is better to eat little and more times a day.
The foods that are contraindicated for diabetics or harmful saturated fats are: (meat, sausages, fried, etc..) white sugar and derivatives, as junk food or refined bakery in syrup or dried fruit. Avoid sugar light too.
Recommended foods for diabetics
Fiber, fresh vegetable juices, whole grains, vegetable milks, vegetables and fresh fruits, no salt or high in salt, eggs, yogurt, preferably homemade, seafood, meats cooked skinless and grilled, rice in moderate amounts and preferably whole, butter and vegetable oils sparingly but caring that are cold pressed.
Here are some delicious recipes recommended for diabetics.
Roasted turkey with vegetables
- 4 slices of Turkey Breast
- 1 small bunch of green asparagus
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small eggplant
- 3 small bell peppers (green, yellow and red)
- 200 gr. of mushrooms
- A dash of olive oil and salt
- Wash vegetables, cut them into slices or leave whole, depending on size. Remove the hard area of the asparagus and clean mushrooms.
- Grease grooved iron grill and roast on all sides.
- Reserve to the heat and season with chopped garlic and salt (if desired).
- At the same, grill vegetables a minute on each side and the slices of Turkey Breast. Serve the breast with roasted vegetables.
Mexican zucchini with tofu
- 1 kilo of chopped zucchini
- 2 cups of water
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ½ chopped onion
- 2 shelled corn
- 3 sticks of finely chopped epazote
- 1 cup of light cream
- ½ kilo of chopped tofu
- salt to taste
- Put to boil the zucchini with tomatoes, onions, corn, branches of epazote and salt.
- When vegetables are cooked, add the cream and cheese.
- Simmer 10 minutes more and serve.
Cream of celery
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- salt and pepper
- 250 cc. of milk
- 1 teaspoon of chopped parsley
- 100 cc. of cream
- 250 grs. Of celery
- Clean the celery, remove the leaves, carefully remove the strands that it has and wash well.
- Cut into pieces and put in a microwaveable a bowl with a little oil (can substitute with butter), salt and pepper. Cover and put in the microwave with high power for 8 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Once cooked,, put in the glass of the mixer, add the milk and beat them until a fine texture.
- Put it back into the first bowl, add the cream and parsley, salt if necessary and we'll put in the microwave for 1 minute at maximum power. Serve and sprinkle with a little chopped parsley.
- 2 cups of millet
- 5 cups water
- 200 g. of cauliflower
- 1 onion
- 250 g. of Tofu
- 50 g. of raisins
- 50 g. of pine nuts or almonds
- Juice of half a lemon
- Sea salt
- Wash the rice (passed by water and then use a strainer) Cut the cauliflower and onion into small pieces. Put the millet in a pot with the cauliflower and onion, add water and a pinch of salt.
- When the water starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 to 25 minutes. In a paella container, put oil, sauté the raisins and add the lemon juice. Toast the pine nuts.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands and mix with raisins and pine nuts. Add this mixture to millet and cook. Mix well and let it cool a few minutes. With a wet hand and a dry, shape the patties.
- Leave for a few minutes. Transfer to a paella with very little oil and turn round. It is ideal served with vegetables or salad.
Rice with sprouts
- 200 g. of pump rice (short and round grain)
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery stem tender
- 1 / 2 small fennel bulb
- 50 g. of soybean sprouts
- 50 g. of lentil sprouts
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt
- 100 ml. olive oil
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- First put the rice to soak for 1 hour.
- The vegetables are cut finely and reserve. Place a pot that has the necessary diameter to fit the steamer basket, fire with salt and bay leaf.
- After passing the rice, it is placed inside the basket on a moist dressing, cover it with gauze and cover the basket tightly, boil water and lower heat to a boil without water simmer.
- After 15 minutes, the vegetables are added and after mixing with the rice, continue cooking 10 minutes more, watching that pot is not left without water. When the rice begins to be tender, add sprouts and prepare the dressing, stirring vigorously all the ingredients for emulsions. Serve accompanied by rice dressing.