Published: 04/29/2008 - Updated: 03/29/2017
Brown rice is considerably high nutritional value, provides water, proteins, carbohydrates, minerals among which are sodium, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, iron, etc. It is a food containing vegetable oils, provitamin A, vitamin B1 (thiamine), vitamin B3 (niacin) and vitamin B12. It is a food containing twelve amino acids for the human body. Its fat content is low and their percentages of albumin intake is recommended when removing liquids. It provides fiber, essential element for health, helps reduce cholesterol and prevents colon cancer.
This cereal is one of the most complete, energy and digestible, recommended for all ages, especially children, the elderly. Also recommended for celiac disease if renal, cardiac, vascular, liver disease and ulcers. Useful for diets.
One trick to make your rice always very soft is to leave soaking overnight before cooking. Keep in mind that cooking rice is highly dependent on water quality and even the altitude at which it is cooked. Therefore, it is necessary to monitor the water that remains for the rice while cooking to prevent burning and sticking.
Brown rice at home (base for other recipes)
Serves: 4 people
- 2 cups of brown rice, previously washed and soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Drain the soaked rice water.
- Put it in a pan with ¾ of a liter of boiling water with salt and oil.
- Allow 3 minutes and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes.
- After this time open, to serve, put some butter on top.
- Serve hot.
Exquisite Brown Rice Waffles
Serves: 4 people
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup of sifted white flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- Raisins or nuts finely chopped to taste
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- ½ cup of skim milk
- 1 cup of pre- cooked brown rice
- 3 large eggs and whites
- Half a teaspoon of lemon juice
- Olive oil in spray
- Preheat the waffle maker.
- In or bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and salt
- Whisk the honey and olive oil until well blended
- Add milk and continue beating until well
- Then add flour mixture
- Incorporate smoothly, avoiding lumps
- Add the cooked rice gently
- Add raisins or nuts
- Grease waffle iron with oil or butter
- Cook the waffles until golden
- Serve warm butter and honey or molasses to taste.
Brown Rice with Milk and Cinnamon
- 250 g of precooked rice (check recipe 1 )
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 liter of milk
- 1 can of skim milk
- Brown sugar to taste
- In a saucepan, heat the milk.
- Add the cooked rice, cinnamon, raisins, butter and brown sugar.
- When mixture boils, reduce heat and thus leave about 10 min.
- Serve sprinkled cinnamon and raisins. An exquisite dessert.
Chickpeas and Brown Rice Milanese
- ½ cup of chickpeas
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice (recipe 1)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of chopped pepper and 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ground or shredded wheat bread
- Soak the chickpeas overnight before preparation.
- The next day, peel and cook.
- Drain and mash while hot.
- In a separate saucepan, mix the above ingredients and then add the chickpeas.
- Mix well and then slowly integrate the breadcrumbs.
- Once you have a stiff dough, take lots with a spoon, make balls and then flatten to look like cutlets or hamburgers smaller than 1 cm. thick.
- Then sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- In a pan with hot oil, sauté.
- When they are browned (not much) take them out and serve with a salad.
Rice and Carob Pudding
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- Milk or soy milk , as needed
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon of carob flour
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- A pinch of cloves
- 50g of walnuts
- 50g of golden raisins
- Cook rice with soy milk, until it is tender and has absorbed the milk completely.
- Sweeten with honey and add the lemon zest.
- Place in a separate bowl carob flour with the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Dilute with a little soy milk, water or lemon juice.
- Cook stirring until it boils.
- Add rice, add the walnuts and raisins.
- Grease a pudding basin with warm honey and pour the preparation, fit well and allow to cool in the refrigerator.
- Unmold and serve chilled, preferably with a hot fruit sauce.