Several studies have shown that breakfast contributes to improved performance during the day, to keep glucose levels stable, control hunger and anxiety, and even improve digestion.
That is why it is always advisable to have breakfast before leaving home. Whether it is something quick and light, or a more elaborate preparation to share with family, breakfast is one meal you should not miss out in your diet.
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 ½ cups of buttermilk
- To add to taste: toasted nuts or seeds, dried fruit, honey and muesli
1. Mix the oats with vanilla extract, cinnamon and 2 cups of buttermilk in a medium bowl. Cover and chill overnight.
2. Heat a skillet over a low heat, add the oat mixture and stir, if you consider necessary, add the remaining buttermilk and cook until heated through for about 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle on toppings to taste.
- ¾ cup of flour
- 1/3 cup of traditional rolled oats
- 1/3 cup of cornmeal
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 ¾ cup of buttermilk
- 2 large eggwhites
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1. Mix flour with oats, and corn flour with baking powder, baking soda and ¼ teaspoon of salt in a large bowl until combined well.
2. In another bowl mix the buttermilk, egg, egg whites and sugar. Pour the dry ingredients together, mix them and let stand for 15 minutes.
3. Put a pan on to heat with a squirt of cooking spray and empty a small portion of the mixture, moving it to take a round shape. Wait until bubbles appear on the circle (about two minutes). Using a kitchen blade, turn the pancake and allow it to cook on the other side (1 or 2 minutes).
- 1 loaf of wheat or whole grain bread
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 140 grams of baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups of skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard (optional)
- 85 grams of cheddar cheese (grated)
1. Put the oven to preheat to 175°C, covering a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray for up to 12 muffins. Remove the crust of the wheat bread and cut into cubes until about 3 cups have been filled, reserving the bread for another use.
2. Dry the peppers, remove the seeds, cut into small pieces and reserve.
Place skillet over medium high heat in a medium pan coated with olive oil or cooking spray. Add onion and cook until browned. Add spinach, and cook, stirring until softened, for about 4 minutes. Leave to cool.
3. Beat eggs with whites, milk and mustard, add ¼ teaspoon of black pepper and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
4. Add cheese, peppers that were leftover and cooked spinach mixture. Gradually stir in bread cubes and let stand for 15 minutes.
5. Divide the mixture into each of the muffin molds. Bake until puffy (20 or 25 minutes) before removing from the pan.
Sausages with potato
- 2 large potatoes cut into wedges
- 4 tofu sausages or turkey sausages
- 1 bell pepper (cut into slices)
- ¼ sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons of flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
1. Heat oven to 220 ° C. Distribute the potatoes in a single layer on a tray smeared with olive oil or cooking spray. Bake, turning until browned on both sides (15-20 minutes).
2. Cover a pan with two or three shots of olive oil and heat it over medium high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, cook a little, including the sausage and stir for about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook.
3. Sprinkle the parsley and stir just before serving. You can use this dish as a perfect accompaniment to poached eggs, or stellate.