Colitis or irritable bowel syndrome is the inflammation of the lining of the colon, which is located in the final zone of the large intestine that connects to the rectum. This is a very common at present, which manifests as an alteration in bowel function (does not have an organic cause). It occurs mainly in young women (4 women per man).
This is a disease that manifests itself mainly with:
- Feces accompanied by blood.
- Abdominal inflammation.
- Abdominal pain (may be of various types, depending on origin).
- Constipation (in some cases)
Other symptoms may be:
- Abundant intestinal gases
- Loss of appetite and weight
We can find several types of colitis. Some of them are:
Colitis nervosa: one of the causes of colitis is emotional states of constant stress or anxiety. Colitis appears when the body is subjected to stressful situations or frequent tension, which produce contractions in muscles of the large intestine, increased sensitivity to the presence of gas and movements of the digestive system. All this, taken together, produce an abdominal cramping or diarrhea, sometimes constipation.
Ulcerative Colitis: is a chronic condition, characterized by inflammation and presence of wounds or sores on the inside wall of the colon. Its symptoms include bloody diarrhea, intense abdominal pain accompanied by fever. Usually manifests between 15 and 30 years.
Colitis caused by drug: the excessive use of antibiotics comes to severely damage the walls of the colon, causing pseudomembranous colitis or necrotizing. This is because these products alter the balance of bacteria that are found in the intestine, allowing the reproduction of disease-causing microorganisms such as bacteria Clostridium. On the other hand, excessive supplementation with vitamin C, iron or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory such as aspirin, can produce severe irritation of the lining of the colon and thereby swelling.
Toxic Colitis: this disease is a serious complication of ulcerative colitis, which severely damage the whole of the intestinal wall. This cause the tissues of the colon will lose strength and muscle tone and is expanding in the course of several hours or days.
Hemorrhagic colitis: caused by a bacteria called Escherichia coli that infects the large intestine and produces toxins that cause bloody diarrhea and abdominal pain.
In some cases, herbal medicines can interact with the patient that leads to colitis, although in some cases could prove counterproductive, it is recommended to consult a specialist.
Some medicinal plants that can be used to treat or help reduce the symptoms of colitis:
- Chamomile which is anti-inflammatory and relaxing, can help prevent inflammation and reduce pain.
- Also, the root of the liquorice plant has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties of the gastric mucosa. It helps prevent inflammation and to prevent abdominal cramps. It is recommended to take two teaspoons a day of an infusion prepared with a tablespoon of dry root of the plant in glass of water.
Food and Vitamins:
- It is important to review the balanced consumption of folic acid (vitamin B9), as many patients have deficiency of this vitamin due to poor absorption of it, either by a damaged intestine or the excessive use of drugs. Also check your consumption of zinc, which is necessary for the healing of wounds and ulcers.
- We recommend that you include in your diet linseed and Onagra oil, which reduce the levels of prostaglandins taking a tablespoon a day.
- Increase intake of fresh fruit such as apples, which is ideal for the intestines.
- Also increase the intake of vegetables, whole grains and vegetables.
- Avoid the consumption of cow's milk, saturated fats, coffee, cigar, and the spicy and very dangerous sodas.
- Drink at least 7 glasses of pure water a day.
- And finally, to reduce levels of anxiety and stress, you can read things and get peace and quiet rest in the day if you have a lot of work load and pressure. Breathe deeply and drink a tea to relax, or walk a few minutes if you can. Remember your health is more important than anything.
The best of Health
Products related with Colitis: causes and natural remedies
Related categories of the Shop
You have not found what you were looking for?