The Christmas celebration is one of the most anticipated by many. The way to celebrate it is different around the world but all agree that good food should be present at the table. Each country has its own traditions but the classic recipes are one of the many options for which we can choose for this important celebration dinner.
Turkey Stuffed with watercress
- 1 turkey
- 1 bunch of watercress
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 onion
- 90g of Butter
- Salt and Pepper (sufficient amount)r
- Mince up or chop the bread slices.Peel the celery to remove the fibrous parts or strands and chop finely.
- Wash and disinfect the watercress and chop finely. Chop the onion finely too and sauté with a little butter until it begins to turn translucent. Add the chopped celery and sauté again.
- Add the chopped watercress sauce with onion and celery and let it begin to evaporate.
- With the rest of butter, fry or brown the bread until it is lightly toasted and mixed with the sautéed vegetables.
- Wash and thoroughly clean the turkey and season with salt and pepper both outside and on the interior.
- Place the stuffing in the turkey, spread the remaining butter over it and tie with twine. Place on an ovenproof tray.
- Bake at 220°C for about 35-40 minutes depending on the size of the turkey and wash occasionally with the juices that begin to run from it. To check if the turkey is cooked properly, prick the thigh with a knife. If the liquid runs clear, the turkey is ready.
Christmas Evening Salad
- 1 head of lettuce
- 2 oranges
- 1 banana
- 2 apples
- 1 beetroot
- 4 tbsp. of peanuts
- 1 cup of jicama (yam beans)
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup of sherry
- Peel the beets, cut into cubes and cook.
- Peel, remove core and cut up the apples.
- Chop the banana and thinly slice the yam beans.
- Mix and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Peel orange and cut into wedges, add to the fruit mixture with the lettuce leaves.
- Mix all ingredients with the sherry and a little sugar.
- Serve with chopped and toasted peanuts.
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1 cup of crystallised cherries
- 1 cup of crystallised pineapple
- 1/4 cup of candied lemon
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 1 cup of organic almonds
- 1/2 cup of white Port
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 tsp. of vanilla
- 1/2 cup of rum
- Moisturise the crystallised fruit and raisins in boiling water and stir constantly, drain when the fruit begins to soften.
- Mix previously soaked fruit with almonds, walnuts and port. Leave to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks and set aside.
Cream the butter with half a cup of sugar and add the egg yolks alternately with the cup of flour.
- Add rum and vanilla essence.
- Incorporate the egg whites with a spatula.
- Add the soaked fruits and nuts along with the liquid.
- Pour into a greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 190°C for approximately 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.