Published: 07/24/2013 - Updated: 08/14/2019
Author: Dra. Loredana Lunadei
Diabetes is currently known as a commonly inherited problem, ie it is a predisposition that can make each individual develop the disease.
If any of our parents or someone in our family line has had this problem, we will have a positive tendency to diabetes. However, not only is this condition triggered by genetic form, there are many factors that can contribute to eventually causing the onset of the disease.
For this reason, especially if there is diabetes in your family, you must inform yourself on how to face these problems with viable solutions to ensure that diabetes does not become present in our lives.
Find out if you are crossing the security zone in the presence of diabetes and learn to prevent it.
What puts us at risk?
• If one of our parents has diabetes
It is a fact that the risk increases the closer you are to the family member with the disease. When a parent has diabetes, this increases the possibility of developing it yourself. If the mother has type 1 diabetes, the risk increases to 2% whereas if the father has it, the odds of you getting the disease are 4-6%. If instead one of your parents suffer from type 2 diabetes, this may increase the likelihood upto a more pronounced 15%.
• If both parents have diabetes
Take into account that having one sufferer in your family increases the risk, so the fact that if both parents have diabetes makes this risk even higher. If it is type 1 diabetes, risk can rise up to 25-30%, and with type 2 diabetes probability can reach upto 70%.
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALTake care of your Heart
•Siblings with diabetes
It is a tangible possibility that if any of your siblings have diabetes, this raises the possibilities for other blood relatives by 5% if it is type 1 diabetes and up to 25% in the case of type 2 diabetes.
• Problems with hormones
There are certain hormonal imbalances that are associated with the onset of diabetes in individuals: Polycystic ovary syndrome is one with which this disease has been linked.
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALStretching: strength, elasticity and mobility
• Being overweight
This only emphasizes the presence of type 2 diabetes and weight gain is conducive to the body's cells become increasingly resistant to insulin doses, which prevents glucose from being properly metabolised in the body.
• Gestational diabetes
This is a disease characteristic in the stage of gestation and while its development is uncommon in pregnant women, if you have had this type of diabetes, there is a greater chance that it may develop into type 2 diabetes in the future.
• Ethnic propensity
It is considered that there are some specific populations that are more likely to develop diabetes than others, although the reasons are not yet entirely clear. Among these stand the African American and Latino Caribbean populations.
• Difficulties in the pancreas
A problem in this organ can result in diabetes, pancreatitis, cystic fibrosis and cancer of the pancreas. Removal due to a problem with this organ can provoke the onset of diabetes.
• A sedentary lifestyle
Performing no or very minimal physical activity can lead to serious problems like diabetes, increasing the risk by almost 30%.
• Improper diet
A poor diet is counterproductive to the body and can increase the chances of developing diabetes. A diet high in fat or carbohydrates promotes weight gain and thus the risk of this disease.
Keys to avoiding diabetes
A healthy, balanced diet: Creating a balanced meal plan is the first change we need to make in order to improve our health, whether we are likely to have diabetes or not, as well as if we want to prevent other diseases. Speaking with a diet specialist will enable you to identify the best eating plan for your needs.
Exercise as part of your lifestyle becomes a matter of routine and therefore there is no need to lock ourselves in a gym or do sport every day. An easy walk lasting 30-45 minutes three times a week can change your life.
Control your weight: It is very important to take care of fluctuations in weight. Try to maintain a healthy weight to prevent future problems.
It is a fact we cannot change our genetic predisposition, but we can reduce these risk factors with simple changes in our daily lives.
About the author