Published: 09/14/2009 - Updated: 08/14/2019
Author: Nayeli Reyes2 Comments
Do you think the birdseed is only for the birds? Maybe it's because you do not know the extraordinary properties of one of the most powerful and nutritious seeds that are on this planet. The birdseed, among other things, contains much high quality vegetable protein, besides being rich in antioxidants. The birdseed can be used in smoothies, pancakes, cookies, granola, soups, rice, salads, etc.
This food is ideal for diabetic diets, weight loss and sports.
Here are some recipes with birdseed:
Lentils with birdseed
- 1 / 4 Kilo of lentils
- 1 / 2 Kilo of vegetarian ham or bacon
- 1 cup of birdseed
- 1 / 2 Kilo of tomatoes
- 1 Kilo of plantain (optional).
- 1 / 2 Kilo of carrots, diced
- Cilantro to taste
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- Soak the birdseed in pure water overnight before cooking this dish.
- Cook the lentils and carrots, diced 15 to 20 minutes or until soft.
- Fry the ham with the plantain.
- After liquefy tomato with a garlic clove and 1 / 4 of onion and seasoning and strain it.
- Mix the tomato with all the ingredients and birdseed, add spice, leave a few minutes. Serve.
Rice with birdseed and mustard
- 1 cup of rice
- 3 cups of chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 1 serrano chile
- Olive oil for frying rice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 / 2 medium onion
- Soak rice in warm water 25 minutes, drain and fry in oil until lightly browned.
- In blender, put 1 cup of broth, with garlic, onion, chili, mustard and salt.
- Add drained rice and oil to the entire contents of the blender. You can wash the glass with some of the remaining cups of the broth.
- Add all the broth to the bowl where the rice is. Cover and leave until dry.
Chop suey with birdseed
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALHenna: Natural Dyes
- Boneless chicken into strips, 400 g
- One cup of birdseed
- Carrot peeled and chopped, 100 gr
- Soy beans, 100 gr
- Onion, 100g
- Red bell peppers, 100 gr
- Summer squash, 100g
- Shitake mushrooms, 6 units
- Bamboo shoots or mushrooms, 100 gr
- Soy sauce, approx. 40 cc
- Sesame oil
- large cloves of garlic, chopped, 1 unit
- minced or grated fresh ginger, 15 g
- Flour or cornstarch, approx. 2 tablespoons
- White wine or beer or water, approx. 100 cc
- Let soak the birdseed overnight before.
- Place the chicken strips, flour, liquid (water, beer or white wine), grated or chopped ginger and garlic chopped or cut into strips in a bowl.
- Cut the vegetables and keep ready.
- Using shiitake, soak first and if you want to use their water to moisten the step 2.
- Heat skillet with just oil. Cook the chicken, remove and reserve.
- In the same frying pan, very hot, with a little oil and little water, stir in the vegetables, a variety of season. First the carrot, then the peppers, cucumbers, onions, zucchini.
- Add soy sauce. Vegetables should be crunchy.
- At the last moment, add the bean sprouts, birdseed and chicken.
Vegetable and birdseed soup
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 diced carrot
- 1 large pumpkin cut
- 1 quart of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of tomato concentrate
- ½ cup of birdseed
- 1 can or jar of 300 grams of cooked beans
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALShiatsu or Japanese Massage
- Heat oil in a large pot and sauté the vegetables and birdseed for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat broth to boiling point.
- When the vegetables are tender, pour the broth and cover the pan to the boil quickly recover. Then uncover and let the vegetables cook approximately 8 minutes until tender.
- Add the tomato concentrate and simmer 8 minutes.
- Then add the beans, add salt and pepper to taste and heat thoroughly.
- This dish is easy to prepare, is ready in 30 minutes and makes 6 servings. Of course it is nutritious as you leverage the virtues of vegetables and birdseed, and with a flavor that is perfect for any family members.
Oatmeal and birdseed Cookies
- 1 cup of oatmeal
- ½ cup of raisins
- ½ cup of birdseed
- 3 tbsp. of butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tbsp. of baking powder
- lemon or orange zest
- Beat butter, sugar and egg yolks until smooth. Then add the flour and baking powder.
- When the mixture is almost set, add the oats, lemon peel and raisins.
- Beat the egg whites separately and mix them with the dough until it is fully integrated.
- Shape cookies and place the dough in a buttered pan.
- Put the cookies in the oven preheated to 200 ° C. for 25 minutes.
About the author
My mother recommended me including birdseed but in just water, she didn?t tell me that you could prepare recipes with it! And those recipes seem very healthy and delicious! I think I wanna prepare them right now! But I?m like tired so tomorrow will be the day!
It’s so weird to think that we can eat birdseed. I mean…I’ve never really heard of people eating birdseed, I’m wondering if it really is that good for you. It looks like a lot of people have had good results with it though, so I’ll do some more research!