In the world there are millions of people suffering from back pain. Various statistics confirm that over 80% of individuals have had some pain in the spine or caused by it throughout their life. In the difficult adaptation that involves anthropological walk on two legs, is added to a sedentary life and reducing the physical effort of many people. Multitude of tests is recommended to assess the cause of a type of back pain in particular and there are many effective treatments. What is clear is that the first thing to know is why the patient has pain, what causes it and what treatment. That is, before any therapy, patient must be studied very well. It is important to find the pathological changes but it is equally important to discard other processes.
Physiology of spinal
The spine is made up of 33 vertebrae and divided into 5 regions. From top to bottom, the first 7 vertebrae form the cervical region and bear the weight of the head. Here is the back, with these 12 vertebrae, less mobility. The lumbar region is the next 5 vertebrae, which is more easily injured. Finally, the sacral region and the lower column.
Major causes of back pain
The back pain can have several causes or etiologies. Many of these problems do not necessarily lead to surgery and can be relieved by other treatments. Scientific advances have helped to clarify many of the mechanisms of production of back pain. It is these new skills that have helped find new treatment regimens.
The most common cause of back pain is a muscular disruption, either muscle (produced by an effort), or muscle tear (damage of fibers that connect muscle to bone) or commonly called a contraction (caused by excessive stress). The backbone has a lot of muscle packages that help you stand and move. When, during an oversight, these muscles are torn, causes painful cramps, a very common cause of work disability in adults. In fact, back problems are currently the second leading cause of absenteeism.
Muscle problems usually have a duration of 2 to 4 weeks. If this is the kind of pain you suffer, the first recommendation is to relax, but you can do a lot more.
Other causes of back pain can be caused by a damaged intervertebral disc and presented a hernia or clamping of a nerve. The bone changes in the vertebrae are often irreversible and very painful. A further erosion of the column is osteoarthritis. If pain symptoms are accompanied by a loss of control of bladder or bowel, if suddenly any weakness in the limbs, if the pain is too strong or if it does not disappear within a week, you need to go to a specialist.
Do not let a sore back prevents you or weaken you to do your normal life. Then we recommend 9 ways to help.
9 Tips to help you avoid and / or improve back pain
1. Exercise regularly. The exercise is the basis to prevent or solve a back problem and has been highly effective both in preventing and treating pain in already established. We now know that the people involved in physical and sports activities have more bone density, while in the early demineralization of bone occurs more slowly. They also have more muscle, which protects the column to a large extent. All this helps to prevent the emergence of a backache, and especially in the short to long term. The abdominal exercises are the most important, considering that the back should always remain fully supported on the ground and not arching the back, which would be more harmful than beneficial. The belly fat is a problem for the spine. Also important are exercises ridges. Strong back muscles and spine are achieved with a minimum of 200 sit-ups a day and avoiding further deterioration in the column either by congenital abnormalities or changes of position. Aerobic exercise is also highly recommended. Either way, practicing the exercise of any kind is necessary and beneficial in every moment of our lives. It is important to warm up before exercise to gain flexibility, stretching, and after it to avoid overloading on the back. Swimming is an excellent sport for people who have spinal problems, especially the way back. It is inadvisable for the alterations in the lower back riding, tennis, skiing and mountain biking.
2. Position is essential. Postural problems can result from congenital disorders (flat feet, malformation of the spine, hip alteration) or bad habits of incorrect posture as in the pass so many hours sitting at the computer, or even many hours of continuous walking. Try to always sit back fully supported on the back of the chair and have the work table to a suitable height. Try to get up occasionally to stretch their legs and spine. In the car it is important to support the head in the seat.
3. Sleep on a firm mattress and flat base (also choose a flat pillow for the head does not tilt too much). Take time to buy a mattress or a bed, thinking about the hours of our lives we spend sleeping.
4. Breathe well: When we have pain, anxiety, shortens our breath, which will further our muscles tense. Deep breathing helps us relax at the same time increase the oxygenation of the damaged area, improving the painful situation.
5. Use relaxation techniques; essential to release tension and muscle contractures. We must bear in mind that the back muscles are 10 to 20 times more sensitive than the rest of the body muscles and hyper react to stress and trauma.
6. Monitor the overweight. Overweight adds pounds to our column and hampers muscle movement and balance. Any excess kilogram to accumulate, disrupting the natural balance of effort and forces the spine and muscles surrounding it, eventually, can cause pain and injury by overexertion. A healthy and balanced diet with an adequate supply of calories and a proper selection of nutrients prevent excess weight and keep us more agile and dynamic.
7. Proper use of supplements for muscle and bone problems.
- Shark Cartilage: The shark cartilage favors the inhibition of the mediators of the inflammatory process and therefore reduces inflammation in addition to activating the immune system. This is critical to injury or joint and muscle disorders. The recommended dose is 500 mg. 3 times daily with meals.
- Glucosamine: Glucosamine (which is an amino-saccharide, i.e. binding of an amino group and a molecule of glucose), is one of the best raw materials for the manufacture of lubricants required for cartilage and joints. There is evidence that glucosamine sulfate can halt and even reverse the progression of abnormalities of the spine. Take 500 mg. 3 times daily with meals.
- OKG (ornithine alpha-keto-glutarate): the amino acid OKG decreases muscle protein loss and promotes tissue recovery. It is very useful for joint and muscular skeletal injuries. The recovery and healing of the lesion is hastened. Should be used in doses of about 40 or 50 mg / kg / day.
- Magnesium: Mineral important in many metabolic processes and building new muscle tissue as well as for the transmission of nerve impulse and energy production. It promotes absorption of calcium is essential for the normal functioning of the heart and muscles and is necessary for muscle contraction. It acts by relaxing muscles after that calcium stimulates contraction and maintains their bone structure. The daily requirements for athletes are located between 600 to 700 mg / day (in two divided doses).
- MSM: It is used primarily to reverse the muscle and joint pain. It acts by stopping pain impulses before they reach the brain, i.e., acting as an analgesic / anti-inflammatory. We recommend a dose of 2.250 mg per day. The results are a month starting the use of the supplement.
- Herbs :such as Arnica montana has been used traditionally as an anti-inflammatory.
8. Recommendations of the day to day: Squat if you have to grab something on the floor or need to lift an object, instead of bending the upper body. Always sit with your back completely supported on the back of the chair. Maintaining a proper tilt at the desk.
9. Avoid carrying heavy loads: If you have back problems, try to avoid heavy loads. If you have no choice, try to balance the weight between both arms and even use special belts or girdles backaches.
Author: Nieves López Cillanueva (Bachelor of Pharmacy)
The best of Manual therapy
You have not found what you were looking for?