Published: 12/27/2005 - Updated: 11/05/2017
Alfalfa is herbaceous plant that blooms in spring and may be taken as germinated. It is difficult to understand that a plant used as food for horses is also an excellent dish for human food, but it is. The germination of seeds is the most appropriate way to eat and more nutritious for all. It is one of the most complete and nutritious foods available. Sprouted foods are rich in vitamins and substances with antioxidant action. Although consumption of these foods increases with age, are still not well known, but are a perfect ingredient to developing many recipes, especially salad. In general, the sprouts can be added to all kinds of soups, with the precaution of adding them when the soup is already on the plate. Do not cook sprouted, because the cooking takes away quality of live food.
Nutrition of germinated alfalfa
- 7% of high-quality protein and bioavailability (contains all the essential amino acids and many non-essential).
- 50% carbohydrate
- 3% polyunsaturated fat
- 25% fiber
- Large amount of vitamin K
- Higher amount of vitamin C than citrus.
- Vitamin A, D, E, folic acid, group B and carotene.
- Many minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, sulfur, cobalt and others.
- It is a very good source of chlorophyll.
- Very rich in Rutin, which is a bioflavonoids.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 50 grams of germinated alfalfa
- 50 grams of sprouted lentils
- 50 grams of soybeans
- 2 liters of water
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Simmer vegetable soup in 2 liters of water, carrots, leek and onion for 80 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, pass by the pure maker adding to the vegetable broth. We are about to salt.
- Then, add a little olive oil, sprouts, give one boil for 1 minute and ready to consume it.
Salad of Cucumber and Alfalfa
Ingredients (for 2 people):
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup of germinated alfalfa
- 1 bunch of watercress
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- Peel and cut the cucumber into thin slices. Place in a bowl, marinate with a little juice or lemon juice and salt. Leave one hour.
- Disinfect well watercress. Place on a plate served as a bunch of watercress, alfalfa, bathed in lemon juice and cucumbers. Season everything with salt.
Salad of Mushrooms with alfalfa
- 300 gr of germinated alfalfa
- 1 can of mushroom
- 1 can of tuna
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and disinfect alfalfa, drain and place in a salad bowl.
- Discard the oil from the tuna and mix with the alfalfa.
- Drain mushrooms and add them.
- Mix yogurt with salt and pepper and serve as garnish.
Salad of avocado with alfalfa
- 2 1 / 2 cups of alfalfa germinated
- 1 avocado, for garnish
- 3 / 4 cup of plain yogurt
- 1 / 2 cup of mayonnaise
- Cut the avocado adding to alfalfa germinated.
- In another bowl mix together yogurt and mayonnaise and add to the above.
Alfalfa Sprouts Salad
- 4 grated carrots
- 1 cup of alfalfa germinated
- 5 boiled beetroot or tomato
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise or a mixture of lemon and olive oil
- salt to taste
- Mix the grated carrots with alfalfa germinated, mayonnaise and salt.
- Place in the center of a dish and surround with slices of beets seasoned.
- Decorate with eggs and stuffed olives.
Ricotta cheese tortellini and sprouts salad
- 500g of ricotta tortellini
- 4 tablespoons of soymilk cream
- 1 tablespoon of butter
For the salad:
- 50 g of lentils germinated
- 50 g of green germinated soybeans
- 50 g of germinated alfalfa
- 1 tender onion minced
- 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds
- 12 black olives
- olive oil
- Boil ricotta tortellini in plenty of salted water for 20 minutes, the salad is prepared to sit and the flavors mix.
- Thus, combine the sprouts in a bowl and add the onion, sesame oil and aligning these ingredients with a little oil, sprinkle with oregano and gomasio.
- When tortellini is cooked and drained, put in a container with a little butter. Here divide into individual dishes and cover with the cream of soy milk, along with salad and sprouts.