Age spots, also known as solar lentigines, are caused primarily from prolonged sun exposure which causes pigmentation in the skin, although nutritional deficiencies can also cause these types of marks.
They usually appear most commonly between people older than 40 years of age. These spots usually do not disappear from day to day, however, they can be treated naturally, if done consistently.
Protect your skin from the sun
Excessive sunlight is one of the primary causes of age spots, which is why you should protect your skin of sunlight in order to prevent them from appearing.
You can’t completely avoid the sun. In fact, sunlight is needed to stimulate vitamin D production. You should, however, moderate your exposure to the sun.
Using hats, handkerchiefs and visors could be useful. It’s also a good idea to use sunscreen, especially if you’re going to be exposed to the sun for long periods of times.
Lastly, avoid using tanning beds.
Diet for improving your skin
A diet rich in vegetables can also help your skin stay more protected from the effects of sun rays.
We recommend avoiding fast food, foods that are high in sugars and fats, as well as caffeinated beverages (except for tea), and tobacco use.
Some nutritional deficiencies could contribute to the appearance of age spots, like potassium deficiency. Produce is rich in potassium, like avocados, kiwi, bananas, cantaloupe, and others.
Another nutritional deficiency that could be connected to spots is that of selenium, which plays an important role in protecting cells from the effects of free radicals.
Natural remedies for age spots
A few natural products can be effective at eliminating and reducing age spots, however, you must keep in mind that this processes requires time and consistency.
1. Aloe Vera: Aloe has been used for years to treat skin in different ways, from improving minor wound healing, to treating acne. To use Aloe Vera against age spots, cut a piece of the plant and rub the pulp over the area you want to treat. Allow to work for 15 minutes, or until it dries. Then rinse it with warm water. It’s recommendable to repeat this twice a day. You could also apply it at night before going to bed, and washing it off in the morning.
2. Castor oil: moisten your fingers with a few drops of castor oil and rub the area that you want to treat twice a day; once in the morning and once at night.
3. Dandelion: Break off the stem of a dandelion and rub the spots you want to treat with the sap twice a day until the spots lighten or disappear.
4. Lemon: this fruit has been used since times long ago for clearing up skin, and it can be useful at fighting age spots. It’s recommended to use it twice a day, apply to the spots, and let set before rinsing. You should keep in mind that lemon acid stains skin if it comes into contact with sun rays. Even though this is only temporary, we recommend avoiding it, which means that if you want to use this remedy, we suggest you always apply it when you are not going to leave the house, or use it solely at night.
5. Onion: The vitamin C contained in onions is frequently sued to naturally whiten skin and it can even help eliminate age spots if used often. All you need to do is apply onion juice, or rub a piece of onion on the area you want to whiten. Do this twice a day until the spots disappear or lessen.
6. Turmeric: This ingredient is frequently used to whiten skin. In order to use it, we recommend mixing it with milk and applying it as a mask once a day. In order to take it off, used a cotton ball moistened in milk, and then wash with warm water. Turmeric usually has a yellow-red pigment that can temporarily stain skin a yellow color. Try to clean the stain by rubbing it with a milk-soaked cotton ball if this happens.
7. Garbanzos: Another popular remedy against age spots consists of using a garbanzo puree with fresh water. Apply it as a mask to the spots you want to whiten, and let dry. The remove with warm water.
8. Cucumber: Cucumber can be used directly on the skin in order to take advantage of these beneficial skin properties. Cut fresh slices and let them set for 15 t o20 minutes daily.
About the author