Celery first came into my life by means of my grandmother’s gelatin recipes. She used lemon flavored translucent lining with a wide variety of fruits, nuts, and celery which gave it a crunchy texture and a fresh, herbal taste with each bite. A long time had passed before I could recognize it in other foods, and as I began discovering it I began appreciating it more. I used it to accompany meats, beverages, pastries, or just raw with some sort of dressing. Celery is very versatile and delicious.
Celery’s scientific name is Apium graveolens and it has been highly appreciated by man for a long time. The version used today in dishes around the world was most likely developed in the Italian peninsula during the 15th century. The part of celery that is consumed is the stalk.
Benefits and properties of celery
Celery is a source of vitamin A and helps maintain the immune system, sight, and appropriate absorption of lipids and vitamin C. Vitamin C is one of the best antioxidants in the body, and it also plays a part in collagen and a few neurotransmitters’ synthesis. Celery also contains minerals like calcium and magnesium and is also low in calories. One stalk of celery has just 6 calories. Let’s take a look at what you think about these recipes I’m going to give you. Remember that celery can cause skin allergies in people that are sensitive to it, but if you are not, then enjoy it however you like best.
- 2 celery stalks
- ¼ c. walnuts
- 1 pear
- 2 apples
- 1 c. red grapes
- 2 Tbsp. light mayo
- ½ c. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon
- 2 c. lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the celery, nuts, pear and apples. Cut the apples into cubes and cut the grapes in half.
- Mix the fruit with the celery and walnuts in a bowl.
- Mix the mayonnaise, the yogurt and lemon juice and add this mixture to the fruit with celery. Blend all ingredients and season to taste.
- Serve along with the lettuce leaves of your choosing. This salad is very commonly served during Christmas parties. You can also add other fruit and a bit of honey.
Fried chicken with celery
- 8 celery stalks
- ½ kilo chicken breast, skinless and boneless
- 1 c. mushrooms, sliced
- ½ c. almonds, diced
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 serrano pepper (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the chicken into strips and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a deep skillet or a wok, add a bit of oil and heat. When the oil is ready, sauté the garlic and add the onion.
- Add the chicken strips and fry them until they are well cooked on both sides. Remove the chicken from the frying pan or wok and set aside.
- Sauté the mushrooms, celery, the sliced serrano pepper, and mix the sugar with the rice vinegar. Add it to the mushrooms along with the vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes. Once finished, add the chicken and almonds. Heat a little more and blend all the flavors by constantly stirring while cooking.
- Serve hot and accompany with white rice. You could also add other meats (like beef or shrimp) or vegetables (like peppers or broccoli), however you prefer.
Tomato and celery juice
MORE IN BIOMANANTIALHenna Tattoo
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- ½ c. water
- 1 tsp. Worcester or English sauce
- ½ tsp. tabasco sauce
- Salt and sugar to taste
- In a blender, add the tomatoes with water and blend.
- Once finished add the celery, lemon juice, Worcester sauce, tabasco sauce, salt and sugar to taste. Blend all ingredients.
- Taste test the juice and add more lemon, sauce, sugar or salt, whichever you prefer. Serve cold with a few ice cubes.
- If you prefer a sweeter beverage, try making a pineapple juice with celery. All you need is pineapple, celery, water and sugar.
About the author