Almond is an important ingredient in the Mediterranean diet. Interestingly, it has a high energy value and low sugar content, so that the it may be included in the diet of diabetics. Prudent consumption of almonds reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular problems because it reduces the oxidation of bad cholesterol and triglycerides.
Almonds have a high nutritional value, where stresses protein composition (20%), fiber (14%) and fat (53.7%), largely in the form of oleic acid. Possesses considerable content minerals like magnesium, iron, potassium, and a high content of vitamins E , B1, B2. These components depend on growing conditions and soil composition, but generally speaking, we can say that Almond is a highly nutritious food.
Almond Cream (sweet soup)
Serves: 4 servings
- 150 gr of peeled almonds
- 125 g of sugar
- 1 liter of milk
- Cream 50 ml
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Olive oil
- Toast the almonds in a pan without oil until golden.
- Remove from pan and mash with a whisk or blender.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and heat along with the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon stick.
- Apart, mix cream with the cornstarch, and when milk starts boiling we will add the cream and cornstarch mixture along with the almonds.
- Heat until boiling again.
- As accompaniment you can toast 4 slices of bread (one per guest) and we can decorate with a sprig of mint.
Almond Nougat (dessert)
Yield: 4-5 servings
- 1 kilo of rosemary honey
- 500 g of sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1.500 g of almonds
- 1 lemon
- Simmer the honey in a saucepan until all the water evaporates.
- Add sugar and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and add the mixture of honey and sugar. Mix continuously for 8-12 minutes and then put on a low heat until the mixture begins to caramelize ( the color is brown)
- Add the almonds to the mixture with the grated peel of a lemon. Mix well and let cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the mixture into wooden or metal molds lined with paper towels.
- After 2 hours nougat is ready. Once completely cool, you have to place the pieces in an airtight container.
Appetizers of brie with almonds
Serves: 4 servings
- 200 g of creamy brie cheese
- 50 g of butter
- 100 g of roasted almonds ( with or without skin )
- salt and pepper
- baguette toasts
- Completely remove the cheese rind.
- Place the cheese in a bowl and work thoroughly with a fork along with the butter until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast the baguette, preferably the day before and spread the cheese mixture on the toast.
- Place on a serving platter.
- Fillet toasted almonds and spread on canapés.
- If did not salted almonds, sprinkle a few grains of sea salt.
Serves: 3-4 servings
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 10 almonds
- 20 sprockets
- 1/2 cup of broth or water
- 1 slice of fried bread
- Three cups of soy minced meat, previously soaked
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- Onion ( finely chopped 3 tablespoons )
- Soy sauce
- The slice of a pineapple finely chopped
- Sauté soy meat with red tomato, onion and pineapple. Add salt and soy sauce to taste and a squeeze of lemon.
- Chop the pine nuts in a mortar, garlic, almonds and hazelnuts, with a pinch of salt, fried bread, parsley.
- Dilute with some broth or water and add to the stew of soybean.
- 1 ½ kilo of chicken chopped
- 6 small potatoes
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 3 medium onions
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 100 grams of pine nuts
- 100 g of almonds
- 1 small glass white wine
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 sprig of thyme
- A little ground black pepper
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- Prepare a clay pot.
- Place the chicken pieces clean distributed throughout the pan.
- Peel the potatoes and onion. The potatoes are halved and onions into four pieces. These are introduced into the pot between the chicken pieces, Also (four pieces) the tomato is chopped and introduced into the pot.
- Chop the garlic into thin slices and thrown over the chicken, along with chopped parsley. Also squeezed lemon, put the thyme, pepper, pine nuts and whole almonds, spread all over the pan. Put a little salt.
- Put the stock cube into a small cup of hot water and dissolve and pour scattered over entire casserole. Then put the wine. Finally, spread oil.
- Put the pan in the center of the oven and leave an hour and half over medium heat 180 ° . When you see browned chicken, potatoes ... should be removed and served.
- Serve with lettuce or spinach salad.