Flax is a very popular seed in the world of medicine and natural health since it has many benefits and advantages for the health and beauty. It stands out as extra support to lose weight, improves digestion and blood glucose control and blood cholesterol. It has high content of essential fatty acids, contains two essential elements that the body needs but is unable to produce: linolenic acid (omega 3) and linoleic (omega 6). In addition, it regenerates the intestinal flora and is a good complement to alleviate irritable bowel syndrome by the use of drugs. It also contains phyto-estrogens, plant compounds that produce the effects of estrogens (female hormones), rich in protein and vitamins like A, B, D and E.
Flaxseed can be used in salads, breads, smoothies, drinks, etc. Here are other ways to consume and have benefits from it.
- 1 kg of flour
- 100 grams of flaxseed
- 75 g of margarine
- 50 grams of yeast
- ½ liter of water
- Mix flour with salt.
- Add the cold margarine into the flour.
- Dissolve yeast in 3 dl of warm water (approximately 37 °).
- Soak the flax in the rest of boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Stir and knead into a ball of dough.
- Let dough rest covered with a damp cloth for 1 hour (if possible in a warm place).
- Flatten the dough and form two loaves or 14 rolls.
- Place on a greased or paper tray.
- Let stand covered for 45 minutes. You can brush with egg or milk. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 1 / 2 cup of ground flaxseed
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of cream
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1 tbsp of diet sugar
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 / 4 teaspoon of baking powder
- Beat all until smooth. The mixture will be thick but not so sticky.
- Let stand for 10 minutes to thicken and let it take flavor. Preheat oven to 325 (medium high). Grease a baking tray and place mixture. Bake for 4 minutes and turn the cookies. Cook for 4 minutes.
- 1 cup of soy or almond milk
- 1 banana (or apple, a slice of papaya, strawberry, blueberry, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons of oatmeal
- Pour all ingredients into blender. If it’s too thick, add more milk. Drink without draining.
Tomato Salad with Flax
Ingredients (4 people)
- 500 g of fresh tomatoes, ripe
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of vinegar (or lemon)
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed or small seeds
- Black peppercorns
- Some branches of dried basil
- Cut the tomatoes into slices.
- Sprinkle with vinegar, oil, salt and black pepper. Chop the basil leaves and spread over the surface. Sprinkle ground flax seeds.
- Serve or keep in a cool place.
Mix mustard, cream cheese or peanut butter with 1 tbsp of flaxseed to put in the bread.
Toasts with Flax
- 2 slices of bread (whole bread)
- Your favorite jelly or jam (no sugar)
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- Fruit, diced
- Mix ground flaxseed with jelly to form a delicious mixture. The sweetness of the jelly will be decreased when mixed with ground flaxseed. Toast bread and spread the fresh mixture in abundance.
- Place the fruit over the bread and it’s ready.